Question: When converting a non-RAC instance to a RAC instance I get the “ORA-29760 instance_number parameter not specified RAC” error.
- SQL> startup;
ORA-29760: instance_number parameter not specified
USER (ospid: 29871): terminating the instance due to error 29760
Instance terminated by USER, pid = 29871
How do I fix the ORA-29760 Error?
Answer: The oerr utility shows this for the ORA-*** error,
Cause: This could be due to a number of reasons. This could be due to.
- • Value for the INSTANCE_NUMBER for the instance being started is not specified
• The ORACLE_SID specified in the init.ora file is incorrect.
- • Modify the parameter file to add the INSTANCE_NUMBER for the instance being started.
• Make sure that the correct ORACLE_SID is set in the parameter file.
• Make sure that the correct ORACLE_SID is exported to the environment before invoking sqlplus.
Related Oracle 12c Articles
Oracle 12c Database: What is Oracle 12c?
There has been a lot of buzz recently about Oracle 12c. Everyone in any way related to Oracle technologies, really want to know what Oracle 12c is and why it is important. Well, simply put it is the next generation naming convention for all Oracle products. Learn more about it here.
Oracle 12c Database: New Features
The Oracle 12c Database has the most new features ever released with any version of any database. As you might have guessed from it’s name, the new version is more focused on Cloud Computing.